Research shows that in the US over 10 million car accidents are reported across the country. It is also the leading reason of death amongst teenagers in the USA. Even though all modern cars are equipped with safety features and car gadgets accidents still do happen.
Wondering what the reasons are? After careful study we see that there are six main causes of car accidents in the US. They are listed below:
1. Distractions: So, you thought speeding or drunk driving will top the charts of the main causes of accidents? You are wrong. The primary reason of the car accidents in US is distracted driving. Talking or texting on the phone or eating can affect the drivers behind the wheel and is reported to be the cause of over 50% of car accidents. We all believe in multi-tasking, but don’t forget that multi-tasking behind the wheel is dangerous. One way to overcome the distraction of using the phone is by installing phone mount in the car. This device keeps the phone in the place and leaves your hands free to do the driving. You can easily text or take the call or play music when the phone is mounted easily. You can choose from a dashboard mount to magnetic mounts to vent mounts.
2. Speeding: There is no denial to the fact that speed thrills, but what we forget is it kills too. We are always in the hurry when on the road which is the second biggest reason for accidents. So it is best to slow down and give yourself time to reach where you want to. High speed reduces the time to respond and react to the emergency and this leads to accidents.
3. Drunk driving: Alcohol affects the driving skills such as reaction time, vision, ability to focus, judgment and overall driving performance. Roughly 200,000 incidents of drunk driving occur daily. Accidents caused by drunk driving are completely avoidable especially with the gadgets like Gear Shift Palm Detection.
4. Weather: Bad weather conditions such as snow, rain, fog, high winds and hail are equally responsible for the car accidents. Approximately, every year over 1.5 million accidents happen because of bad weather. Due to the slick road surface after the rains or icy roads, the chances of the driver losing control are quite high, thus the driver must exercise great care and concentration when driving in bad weather conditions to avoid accidents.
5. Lane change: Unsafe lane changes often lead to car accidents. To prevent the car accidents use the indicator and check the blind spots to ensure safety. Or you can even install the Lane Departure Warning System to minimize the accidents and collisions. This system interprets the video images to calculate the road alignment and vehicle state. In case of emergency it applies the torque to the steering wheel and gets the vehicle back in the safe lane boundaries.
6. Driver fatigue: Approximately, 20% of serious road accidents involve driver fatigue. This is because sleepiness reduces the reaction time, concentration, vigilance and alertness so the ability to drive is impaired. The information processing speed is also reduced considerably by fatigue. Therefore, it is extremely important to be alert while driving. To avoid accidents because of fatigue, try and install the Drowsiness Video Sensor gadget in your car.
Apart from these reasons, there are many more like night driving, running stop signs, running red lights, etc. So, the key to safe driving is following the driving rules, staying alert on the roads and having proper gadgets in your car.